History of Masseys
Masseys was founded in 1947 by Reginald Massey who was a painter and decorator. He started the business by decanting five gallon drums of paint into treacle tins and then selling the treacle tins to the public. Within five years, Reginald Massey had started the Masseys DIY store, selling tools, ironmongery and of course paints.
The current directors, Peter and Robert Massey are both grandsons of Reginald. They are both trained accountants and have been directors of the business for 30 and 27 years respectively.
The fourth generation are now also in the business. Andrew Massey studied Economics at Durham University before working for Ernst & Young in Corporate Restructuring. He joined the business in 2008.
129 Swadlincote Road (2014 – )
In March 2014, the business opened its’ doors at 129 Swadlincote Road – a 28,000 sq/ft Home, Garden and DIY store.
29 Swadlincote Road – (1987 – 2014)
The store during 1987 – 2014 was extended several times, until finally we just out grew it. Many people loved it and often referred to it as an “Aladdin’s Cave” and was 7,700 sq/ft.
109 Swadlincote Road
The shop at 109 Swadlicote Road was from 1947 until 1987. The family used to live above the shop.